My sorority sister posted about microwave kale chips…. yep I know what that sounds like…. like um ah ha we like totally love eating kale and like fur suuuuurrreee. Trust me we were all anything but that… and now we’re all working women and many of us are mommas! So I digress…. My sorority sister posted about making microwave kale chips and I knew I had to ask her to blog it out for me, so I could post it! This is crazy easy, super inexpensive, and incredibly yummy! You will never have to buy an $8 bag of Kale chips from whole food, or hover over your oven hoping you don’t turn your kale into charcoal!
Kale Chips in the Microwave
I jumped on the kale loving bandwagon several months ago and started making kale chips in the oven after seeing it online. The problem was having to constantly check the kale in the oven to make sure it wasn’t burning on top of constantly checking on my two year daughter. When I learned about using the microwave I knew I had to try it. It’s so easy and the snack is highly addictive and super healthy. Even my daughter likes them! I admit my husband thinks the smell is a bit off putting. I get it. Kale has a very distinct earthy smell but it doesn’t really bother me.
This is a great little recipe for those wanting to try kale for the first time or anyone familiar with the popular green super food. You can also try adding cheese, spices or other seasonings to the chips as well.
One bunch or bag of kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt to taste
1. Break kale in chip sized pieces using the leaves only.
2. Wash and dry your kale really well. I advise using a salad spinner or putting the washed kale in a ziplock bag and sticking it in the freezer for a couple hours. Any moisture will make the kale chips soggy.
3. On a paper towel lined microwave safe plate arrange kale on a single layer.
4. Drizzle the olive oil on the kale.
5. Sprinkle sea salt.
6. Stick in the microwave at High for about 3-4 minutes, moving the chips around a bit halfway through.
The chips should be crunchy and a darker green. Keep in mind they shrivel up A LOT! The kale seems like a lot at first but you’ll end up doing quite a few batches. Hope you enjoy your DIY kale chips! I know we did!
by Rachel Dittamo